Tuesday, March 29, 2011

God comes through once again...

This past weekend I got my feelings hurt pretty badly.  It doesn't happen very often but I did.  It ended up not being a big deal and I shouldn't have gotten near as upset as I allowed myself to be. Anyway I decided to take off to the great city of Selma, Alabama and see my mom.  I don't know if you all have a mother like mine, well Paul and Katie do. My mom has never been one to tell you what you wanted to hear but always what you needed to hear and always in a loving manner.  As I was leaving her house I ask God to give me a word, a song, a bit of scripture something to help me get over this hurt I was feeling. I got in the car and before we got to the end of the road Mattie was asleep and  my CD on shuffle played the following song

 It's so easy to cash in these chips on my shoulder
So easy to loose this old tongue like a tiger
It's easy to let all this bitterness smolder
Just to hide it away like a cigarette lighter

It's easy to curse and to hurt and to hinder
It's easy to not have the heart to remember
That I am a priest and a prince in the Kingdom of God

I've got voices that scream in my head like a siren
Fears that I feel in the night when I sleep
Stupid choices I made when I played in the mire
Like a kid in the mud on some dirty blind street
I swore on the Bible to not tell a lie
But I've lied and lied
And I crossed my heart and I hoped to die
And I've died and died

But if it's true that you gathered my sin in Your hand
And You cast it as far as the east from the west
If it's true that You put on the flesh of a man
And You walked in my shoes through the shadow of death

If it's true that You dwell in the halls of my heart
Then I'm not just a fool with a fancy guitar
No, I am a priest and a prince in the Kingdom of God

I thought about that and must have played that song 7 times on the way home.  It is so much easier to be ugly back but I chose not to and I am glad I didn't because it really wasn't a big deal at all and how foolish would I have looked.  Also it is hard to remember sometimes that we are priest for God, all of us no matter what our job, just a thought.  The song is Fool with a Fancy Guitar by Andrew Peterson and I think he is fabulous. Anyway I hope you all have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment