Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A little Mister Rogers for you......

A couple of years ago my mom or sister, I don't remember which one, gave me a book entitled The World According to Mister Rogers.  It is a collection of quotes from Mister Rogers.  I was looking for a particular quote and I ran across this one instead.

" The gifts we treasure most over the years are often small and simple.  In easy times and in tough times, what seems to matter most is the way we show those nearest us that we've been listening to their needs, to their joys, and to their challenges."

I  think that is so true.  I can only remember one really big gift I ever received and I remember it because "Santa" told me they were not able to find it and on Christmas morning it was there. It was a hot pink and purple ten speed bike and I loved it, well until it was stolen. 

I can go on and on though about small things or gifts that people have done for us.  I remember my mom always made notes, poems, or even scavenger hunts directing us to gifts we received.  I remember getting to sleep with my mom when my dad worked night shift.  I also remember daddy coaching me in basketball and learning so many more lessons other than basketball.  I remember having an MRI and being so afraid and that morning my mom came in my room before I left and said I want to pray for you, that wasn't unusual but I just remember that so vividly. I remember Katie buying me a CD by Jason Mraz and attaching the sweetest note saying it isn't a lot but I had a great time with you at the Jason Mraz concert and I thought you could remember it this way.  The sweetest thing ever was when our Dad died watching the youth from our church.   I worked with the youth and they were all  friends of my sister ( they were the same age). Those sweet young people came to the hospital, visitation, and my dad's funeral.  It was as if they were grown up.  

So... what are some things you remember from your childhood be it big or small ?

Hope you guys have a great day

Leslie

1 comment: